Just like most online information portals which require the email/username and password to login, so as with AKO, all Military and Civilian CAC holders are required to login with username and password to get access. To be more secure, they should reset their password with their CAC to get a 150-day password.
Changing the AKO password can be performed especially when you lose it or your login credentials are compromised. However, the way to reset the AKO password is pretty easy because you can perform in multiple ways. Here’s how to reset the AKO password!
Here’s the Guide to Change Your AKO Password!
You can use the ‘Reset Password’ link to change your new AKO password. The link to change your AKO password is https://www.us.army.mil/.
- Go to the link above.
- Then, click on the ‘I don’t have a CAC/PIV’ tab.
- After that, click on the ‘Reset’ link located above the Password box.
- A new window will automatically open.
- Here, you need to enter your AKO/DKO username without the @us.army.mil or your registration/ external email address.
- Afterwards, choose a password reset method. Here, the AKO site gives you up to four options, even though not all options are not available. You can choose the method depending on your account settings.
Here’s a list of reset password methods:
Method 1 – Reset AKO Password Using CAC
If you take the method to reset your AKO password using CAC, you will need to have your CAC registered with your AKO/DKO account to use this option. Here’s how!
- Firstly, you need to click on the ‘GO’ button by the option to ‘Reset Your Password Using Your CAC’.
- Then, enter your CAC PIN number when required. If your AKO password has expired, you will be required to create a new one immediately. If you have forgotten your password, you will be directed to the password management screen.
- Here, you need to create a new password which meets the requirements which are listed on the screen.
- Type it into the ‘New Password’ field and then retype it into the ‘Confirm New Password’ field.
- Last, click on the ‘Submit’ button. Sure, your password will be reset and changed. So, you can use your new AKO password to log into AKO.
Method 2 – Reset AKO Password Via Email
An email will be sent to your registration email address. Once you receive the email, follow the instructions in the email to change your password. If you then receive an ‘Error 401 Not Authorized’ error when you reset your password, of course, the reset password link has expired due to it being older than 24 hours.
If you have received multiple password reset emails, you should use the most recent link or you probably receive the Error 401 – Not Authorized message. It’s important to note that a valid Registration/ External email address should already be set on the account.
Here’s how to reset your AKO password with email!
- Firstly, click on the ‘Go’ button beside the option to ‘Reset Your Password Via Email’. Then, a message will appear instructing you to look for an email at your Non-AKO email address.
- Then, open another browser window or tab. You can also navigate to your non-AKO email inbox.
- Open the email address from the sender ‘email@example.com’ with the subject ‘The Army Portal/Lost Password’ and then click the link inside.
- If the message does not appear in your inbox, you can check your Spam/Junk folder to ensure it has not been flagged erroneously. Then, if the link is not clickable, you can copy and paste it into the address bar of your browser.
- After that, you need to enter your AKO user ID when required and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Confirm your profile information in the form and then reset your password when required.
- Last, enter and confirm a new AKO password.
Method 3 – Reset AKO Password Via Text Message
If you want to reset AKO password via text message, make sure you have put in your mobile phone and mobile phone carrier information in your AKO Account Settings Profile. Here’s how to reset the AKO password via text message!
- Firstly, you need to click the ‘GO’ button by the option to ‘Reset Your Password via Text Message’.
- Then, you need to check your phone associated with your account.
- However, an entry key will be texted to you and will expire once one hour. This message probably takes several minutes to arrive.
- What you should do is to enter the key from the message into the field and then click on the ‘Next’.
- After that, you need to update or confirm your profile information when required and choose to reset your password.
- Last, enter and confirm a new AKO password.
Method 4 – Reset AKO Password with Security Questions
If you choose to reset AKO Password with security questions, sure there will be a bunch of questions which you have set up within your account and not your 15 KBA Security Questions. Well, those questions should be answered in the same format as was entered including punctuation, capitalization and spacing.
Here’s how to reset your AKO password with security questions!
- Firstly, you need to click the ‘GO’ button by the option to ‘Reset Your Password by Answering Your Security Questions’
- After that, you need to confirm the answers to all three of your security questions and then click on the ‘Next’ button. All answers are case sensitive.
- Here, you need to confirm your organizational information on the next page and then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Last, enter and confirm your new AKO password.
You can also reset your password by entering your expired password. However, this method is only available if your password has expired. Alternatively, you can change your password once logging in by following steps:
- First, log into your AKO/DKO account.
- After that, click on the ‘MY Account’ tab.
- Last, click on the ‘Change Password’.
Okay, those are all methods that you can take to reset your AKO password. Make sure to choose the method that you need in order to reset your AKO password easily.